The human body does not exist in a solely physical form, but also through the energy patterns and pulses that make up who we are. In Kundalini Yoga, this energy is anchored to certain parts of the body, commonly known as chakras.
When these chakras are balanced we feel at peace and in control, but when they move out of alignment we begin to struggle with our emotional and physical wellbeing. The fifth chakra, or throat chakra, corresponds with our personal authenticity and truth
What is the Fifth Chakra in Kundalini Yoga?
The Fifth Chakra in Kundalini Yoga relates directly to our ability to speak the truth, communicate thoughts and emotions, and take control of our own destiny. It is the center of our verbal sense of will, and the power we have over ourselves.
Sanskrit Name: Visuddha
Physical location: Throat, neck, mouth, ears, shoulders
Psychological function: Communication
Challenge: Not being able to speak your truth
Fifth Chakra Affirmations
Verbally repeating affirmations which speak to our sense of authenticity, truthfulness, and strength of communication, is a practical and simple step that anyone can take to make manifest their priorities and balance the Fifth Chakra.
Have a go at these affirmations daily, should you feel that your Throat Chakra is out of balance:
- ‘I have a right to speak my truth’
- ‘I nourish my spirit through my creativity’
- ‘I am at peace’
- ‘I have a strong will, and I know how to resolve problems’
- ‘I understand my need for truth’
- ‘I feel gratitude towards life’
Signs your Fifth Chakra is Out of Balance
When your Fifth Chakra is out of balance, you can become challenged by untruths and a lack of power or control over your own experience and destiny. This imbalance can manifest in a number of ways including:
- Succumbing to peer pressure
- The feeling that we are being swept along by life
- Being stubborn or dogmatic
- Gossip, or over-talking
- Shyness, or being afraid to speak up
- Insecurity when communicating wants and needs
- Physical ailments include tonsillitis and the common cold
Start by sitting in an easy, cross-legged position for meditation. Take a few seconds to find your comfortable center, and breathe into this position.
Signs your Fifth Chakra is in Balance
When the energy of the Fifth Chakra is in balance we are able to be our true, authentic self. You will also notice that:
- You feel confident asking for things you need
- You can verbalize your emotions effectively
- You speak openly and honestly
- You feel confident when channeling creativity
- You find it easy to stand up for what you believe in
How to Balance your Fifth Chakra
When the Fifth Chakra is out of alignment it’s important to take responsibility for your own happiness and wellbeing, as communicating your needs to others becomes difficult. Try the following techniques to help to rebalance:
- Use chrysocolla or turquoise in your meditations
- Wear clothes containing the color blue
- Sing loud and clear, and without embarrassment
- Practice saying “no” when you need to
Looking Forward to the Future
Effective communication is an essential skill in our personal and professional relationships, and the key to maintaining power over our own destiny. Taking time to hone this skill and understand our own energies is a real investment in our future happiness.
See also: What is First Chakra