/ Kundalini Yoga
Reading Time: 9 minutes
Motherhood is a gift—and one we celebrate on a special day. Before we take a look at what happens in the 120th Day Pregnancy Celebration, you should first understand its meaning. According to Kundalini Yoga tradition, on the 120th day after a baby is conceived, it is the day when a woman becomes a mother.
The reason is simple: It is on this special day that the Creative Force grants full incarnation of the soul into the body. Before this sacred moment, the soul was merely linked to the cells as they began to form in the woman’s womb. However, as the pregnancy matures to this time, the woman becomes a vehicle to bring this new life into the world.
The True 120th Day Celebration Meaning
Within this divine moment, the soul of the new child is at its purest. It has not been affected by the limitations of the world around it. During this time, we come together to celebrate the fresh life that will soon be entering the material world that we know and love.
Between the 120th day of pregnancy and the moment that the child is born, the subconscious mind of the child starts to become present. The mother is the vibratory receptor for the child over this period allowing the young one to grow and expand.
What Happens in the 120th Day Pregnancy Celebration?
Since the 120th day of pregnancy is a momentous occasion, it is cause for celebration. However, there are no strict rules on the type of event that a family chooses to host. It may well depend on the mother-to-be and how gregarious or sociable she currently feels. Here are some of the things that you can expect during the 120th Day Pregnancy Celebration:
Friends and family gather
Family and close friends will be invited to join the mother-to-be and celebrate this occasion with her. Often enough, she will sit in a place of honor that is beautifully decorated, while those that she loves and admires will come to see her and wish her well.
Group meditation sessions
Often enough, the 120th Day Pregnancy includes group meditation sessions. Your yogi friends may come together to chant, meditate, or even engage in some breathwork. It is at this time that we begin to reflect upon the new soul that is entering the woman’s womb.
Prayers for the mother
The celebration may also see some of the friends and family praying for the mother-to-be. The day gives us an opportunity to look ahead and be hopeful about all the future has to hold. We pray for the emotional, spiritual, physical, and mental wellbeing of the mother.
The guests who attend the celebration may choose to bring gifts that honor the mother-to-be. These will usually be unique to the woman in question. Friends and family members may want to bring small tokens to show how much they appreciate her.
Avoid these practices after the 120th of Pregnancy
The following exercises should NOT be practiced after the 120th day of pregnancy or if a woman has any medical complications:
- After the 5th month, avoid all Gong Meditations.
- After the 36th week, avoid standing Life Nerve Stretch variations. These head-down positions of the mother could increase the possibility of the child settling in the Breech Position.
- Avoid Exercises that apply pressure to the abdominal area (i.e., Bow Pose, Stretch Pose, etc.).
- Not recommended to practice Breath of Fire and any other intense breathwork.
- Not recommended to practice Maha Bandh or Uddiyana Bandh (diaphragm lock) or Mula Bandha (contraction of the rectum, sex, and navel locks together), or diaphragm lock.
- Not recommended to practice leg lifts (except while lying on the side).
- Not recommended to practice inversions (i.e. shoulder stand, headstands, handstands, etc.).
- Not recommended to practice Sat Kriya, Venus Kriyas, and breath suspension on exhaling while pregnant.
- No cold showers after the 7th month.
Continue Your Journey Now!
Whatever life stage you happen to be at, Kundalini Yoga can help guide and empower your journey. Now that you have taken the first steps, why not continue to move forward? Learn more about this beautiful and functional practice so you can apply it to your life.